On this page of our website, you will find selected articles, tools, case studies, resources or links on issues relating to strengthening the accountability and transparency of global civil society organisations and federations.
There are a wide range of accountability frameworks and standards now available for international NGOs. Our focus is on how global civil society organisations are approaching the practical challenges of delivering effective accountability and transparency.
- ‘Oxfam’s Accountability Report 2013‘: 23 pages. Annually updated report on Oxfam GB’s progress in fulfilling its commitments to each of its key stakeholder groups. Good examples of systematically reporting on stakeholder feedback.
- ‘Accountability Report 2012‘: World Vision International, 87 pages + appendices. Comprehensive report bringing together all core aspects of World Vision’s accountability. An example of evolving good practice in accountability reporting
- ‘People, Power, and Accountability‘: Jeremy Nicholls, SSIR June 2014, 3 pages. Opinion piece arguing for transferring power to stakeholders as a requirement of effective accountability
- ‘Increasing the Public Value of International NGOs‘: Alan Fowler and Simon Miller, 2012, 12 pages. Overview of approach to linking transparency and accountability with governance, and its use in World Vision
- ‘The ActionAid Story: Building and Governing a Democratic Federation‘: Hauser Center, June 2013, 17 pages. Overview of ActionAid’s approach to restructuring their federation to share power more widely
- INGO Accountability Charter Reports: Accountability reports produced by over 20 international civil society organisations and federations, to comply with their obligations as members of the INGO Accountability Charter
We welcome feedback on how relevant and useful you found these resources., which helps us to assess what is most relevant. To email us your comments, click here
If you would like to suggest an article, tool, case study, resource, event, or link to be profiled to the Baobab community through this website, click here.
If you are interested in consulting advice on issues related to accountability and transparency of global civil society organisations, click here
Footnote: All resources available through the Baobab site are made available with the kind permission of the authors, publishers, or organisations who own the copyright. If you wish to make use of these articles for other purposes, please contact the copyright owners directly. Baobab is not responsible for opinions expressed in these resources, or for the quality or accuracy of the data and evidence presented.